Friday 29 June 2007

Learning Spanish and gynaecology

I don't know about you, but I wasn't good at languages at school. In fact I boycotted it. I felt my school had conned me into taking a language. Actually I'll tell you the story .. this is absolutely true.

When I was, oh, so high, I'd wanted to be a doctor and then I decided I wanted to be a gynaecologist. I was a bit of a late developer and I'm sure I'd never seen the relevant body part when I decided this, but, this was when I was choosing my options, and I asked the biology teacher and she said that the international language for gynaecologists was German. So I opted for that.

I wrote to a gynaecologist and asked if that was true. He wrote back and said it wasn't. I'll bet he was laughing all day, can you imagine?

So from that day on, actually, I just messed about in that class and disrupted the whole thing. They'd lied to me.

Anyway, enough from the soul. My point is, I was never very good at languages, and learning to speak another one has always seemed like a distant dream.

Intellectually, I'm good, though. I feel like I should be able to do this .. 400 million people speak Spanish, how hard can it be?

So I bought books and so on and they are OK, but there's a lot of talk about luggage and how to wonder if your room has a shower or not and I wanted something more real than that.

So that's why I'm recommending this course to everyone. It's really helped me. It's Spanish in 12 days, but I don't think that's the main advantage. The key thing for me is how good a grounding it gives you. Upon these foundations you can build forever. On luggage and bathrooms, there's no future. For people learning Spanish for their work (which I seem to be hearing a lot about), this is great. Take a look for yourself.

No comments: